photo header_zps0f91e2d9.jpg photo ex_zps61d55d43.jpg photo home_zps85f688be.jpg photo about_zpsa1ea80b7.jpg photo contact_zps4aa39ec8.jpg photo twitter_zps89adcf86.jpg photo links_zps1c63dfd5.jpg photo ex1_zps4edc29b7.jpg

Manjar

Tuesday, August 13, 2013

The rest of Latin America calls this amazing substance "dulce de leche." In fact, I'm pretty sure the rest of the world calls it dulce de leche. But here in Chile (where there are whole dictionaries of "chilenismos") dulce de leche is manjar. And it is GOOD. Like possibly up there with chocolate, in terms of best sweet foods. You can put it on or in just about anything (bread, coffee, croissants, cakes... you get the point) and it's worth it (even if it's loaded with horrifying sugars and calories... oops). One of my favorite manjar-oriented snacks is at Costaño. Costaño is a bakery that serves empanadas, bread, and tons of pastries. Costaños are all over the city, in metro stops, on corners, and some convenience stores even sell Costaño goods. It's dangerous.

I have to pass these bad boys virtually every day. They sit in the window of the Castaño in the Plaza de Armas station. Look at all of the MANJAR!

This is my favorite treat to get. It's a "canolo de manjar" AKA a Chilean cannoli AKA croissant dough wrapped around manjar. Mmm.

So that's all I have to say today. I am trying to be positive in this post in order to forget my trials this morning, which included an hour long bus ride to a class that was canceled. Ugh. Then I've had some interesting situations arise with a new landlord regarding water usage (hello, when six people live in one apartment you will have to have a high electricity bill... oy vey). 

I'll be back soon internet!

XX
A

No comments:

Post a Comment