photo header_zps0f91e2d9.jpg photo ex_zps61d55d43.jpg photo home_zps85f688be.jpg photo about_zpsa1ea80b7.jpg photo contact_zps4aa39ec8.jpg photo twitter_zps89adcf86.jpg photo links_zps1c63dfd5.jpg photo ex1_zps4edc29b7.jpg

A Day Off in Santiago

Friday, August 16, 2013

The title of this post feels a bit fake... I've had such a weird slow week with not very much work. But, yesterday everyone had a day off. In my last post I said that everyone was leaving Santiago. I was given this impression by a number of students who told me they were going away for the weekend. It turns out that the majority of Santiaguinos were here yesterday. It was mayhem. After a very rough night of sleep (AKA a mere 4 hours) I didn't stick around Parque Forestal for all of the festivities but I still saw some cool stuff! The city put on a huge concert in the park which included a grand finale of Chile's version of The Rolling Stones (confession... I'm not totally sure which band this is, I think it's Los Jaivas?). I've heard a few different estimates, but there were apparently 70,000 people in the park! Pretty Crazy! To top if off, the weather could not have been any better! It was about 70 degrees (a welcome change after all of these 50 degree and raining days).

Molli (friend from home, more on her later) and I walked from my house up to Parque Forestal, through Barrio Lastarria and then to the store. I didn't get nearly enough pictures, but I got a few that hopefully show you the mood of the day.

If you recall, I put of a picture of the sunset a few days ago and there was a tent in the foreground of the picture... This is the tent! Molli and I were walking through Parque Bustamonte and we saw some awesome dancers in front of the tent. We decided to get a closer work.

To be honest, I don't know anything about this performance. I'm not sure what tribe, the significance of the dance... anything, really. BUT the costumes were amazing and the music was fun and the dance itself was pretty cool as well.

Another shot of the dancers.


This is a cool sculpture in Parque Forestal. I thought the light was intersting so I took a picture. No real significance.

Unfortunately I didn't take any other pics, but I think it's pretty clear that the weather was amazing. I'm hoping to do some fun things this weekend so hopefully I'll have some exciting pictures to show you soon! I hope everyone is doing well :)

XX
A

P.S. I made a stir fry last night. I couldn't find any stir fry sauces at the store so I made my own from scratch and, if I may say so myself, it was pretty good. Maybe I'll do a recipe post?

No comments:

Post a Comment