photo header_zps0f91e2d9.jpg photo ex_zps61d55d43.jpg photo home_zps85f688be.jpg photo about_zpsa1ea80b7.jpg photo contact_zps4aa39ec8.jpg photo twitter_zps89adcf86.jpg photo links_zps1c63dfd5.jpg photo ex1_zps4edc29b7.jpg

Choppin the Loxxx

Thursday, September 12, 2013

Hello World,

How is your Thursday going? Mine has been quite all right. I normally work until 8 or so on Thursdays but today two of my classes were canceled so I've had the afternoon free. I'm pretty much on vacation mode now because next week is the 18th which is Chile's independence day. It's supposed to be a week of partying. I only have one class to teach so I'll hopefully get up to some fun things.

In preparation for these festivities I thought my hair needed a bit of a pick-me-up. I was very apprehensive about getting my hair done in Chile. I have gringa hair by Chilean standards, but by gringa standards I have insane hair. Super thick, super curly, and very fine strands. I've gotten my hair routine down in the states but I was a bit freaked out about the idea of getting my hair cut in a country where women have two distinct layers of hair and men have mullets. I was also terrified that my request (which was a very small trim, just take off the dead ends) would be lost in translation and I'd walk out like one of these guys... ah!

So I bit the bullet and communicated to the best of my abilities that I just wanted a short trim and I think it worked out OK...


In the process... and looking very much like a vampire. Oops. The salon used Moroccan hair oil, which is always a plus in my book! I think you can see the wonderfulness of said hair oil in the shimmery results...


The final product... no more split ends!


And last but not least, a completely unrelated pic of the latte my student made me this morning... DELICIOUS.


So overall it's been a nice day and it's not over yet. I am going to meet M and K for drinks later, which should be fun! Have a nice night, people!

XX
A

P.S. A small update on the happenings of 9/11 in Chile... The only real action I saw was a caravan of 8 carabinero (police) buses with their sirens on. M saw a bunch of desks on fire outside of a school. The real problems, however, were in the outer comunas. I teach a class in Renca (as I've mentioned before Renca is a very bad neighborhood) and my student there (the one who made me the coffee above) said they had some pretty serious problems. The riots there caused power outages which is bad because my student runs a paper recycling plant. Due to the power outages the plant could not process paper over night. This means that tons of loose paper was hanging around and could easily catch on fire. Everything was Ok, but my student was understandably stressed out! So there's the update... ish!

No comments:

Post a Comment