photo header_zps0f91e2d9.jpg photo ex_zps61d55d43.jpg photo home_zps85f688be.jpg photo about_zpsa1ea80b7.jpg photo contact_zps4aa39ec8.jpg photo twitter_zps89adcf86.jpg photo links_zps1c63dfd5.jpg photo ex1_zps4edc29b7.jpg

Bar The Clinic

Sunday, September 15, 2013

Hello!

I've been sitting in bed since I woke up... Sundays are so nice! The last few days have been pretty good for me. Friday night I went out with coworkers, which turned into a night of karaoke and scarily strong Brazilian cocktails. Saturday was a very relaxed day. M was supposed to go to Mendoza (Argentina) for the night but her plans fell through so we went shopping (a big failure... all of the stores were closed weirdly early) and then we went to Barrio Lastarria. It was a nice day.

Last night I went to The Clinic with with friends. My friend's brother was in town so we decided to take him out. The Clinic is a political satire bar. Everything in the bar is a reference to the Pinochet dictatorship. The name of the bar is a reference to where Pinochet was arrested in London. They make a mean terremoto (a classic Chilean drink), and pretty yummy chorillana (class Chilean dish). Everywhere you look you see jokes about the dictatorship, even the menu makes fun of Pinochet. Anyways I'll stop rambling on and you can see the pics from last night...


Now this isn't actually the cool part of the menu... but I liked the symbol on the back. It's entirely possible that the seel has some meaning, but I don't know what it is. 


There are quotes written all over the walls. This one is hard to read but it says "sabia usted que la derecha chilena sufre de mala memoria y la izquierda de mala recuerdos" which means "did you know that the Chilean right suffers from bad memory and the left from bad memories?" It's a reference to the right's refusal to acknowledge the desaparecidos, and the torture and fear experienced by the left under Pinochet.


A terremoto! It's a crazy Chilean drink. Terremoto means earthquake in Spanish so it makes sense that their drink would be called a terremoto. It's pretty insane. It's a mix of grenadine, pisco, and pineapple ice cream. It's yummy, but also very bizarre. And most importantly it's strong!


We ordered a chorillana for the table. I think I've talked about Chorillana before on the blog but it's basically a drunk person's dream. Fries, egg, onion, meat. This one came in a quasi sandwich. It was pretty delicious.


Vanity shot of the chorillana.


M and I. 


Not the best picture of me... but M and C look cute so I thought I'd include it!


M and I spent a large portion of time taking pictures like the girls M lives with. They are lovely French girls, but I can't help but laugh whenever they take pictures. They immediately suck in their cheeks and make duck lips. Haha.


I think I got down the duck lip face... agree?

So that was my night/weekend. I'm still not totally sure of my plans for the next week (dieciocho festivities) but I know that I want to get out of Santiago for a few days so hopefully I can do some travel posts! Until next time, internet!

XX
A

No comments:

Post a Comment