photo header_zps0f91e2d9.jpg photo ex_zps61d55d43.jpg photo home_zps85f688be.jpg photo about_zpsa1ea80b7.jpg photo contact_zps4aa39ec8.jpg photo twitter_zps89adcf86.jpg photo links_zps1c63dfd5.jpg photo ex1_zps4edc29b7.jpg

A Day at the Fonda (AKA a Chilean County Fair)

Friday, September 20, 2013

Hello hello!

I hope the universe has been treating you well this week. Usually Fridays are super great, but today Friday marks the end of a nice long week off... back to the real world on Monday. Ew. As I mentioned in my last post, Chileans had time off this week in order to celebrate Fiestas Patrias (or Independence Day). The classic means of celebration= Terremotos (strong drink)+Meat skewers+ Empanadas+ A crazy carnival+ Dancing Cueca. It's all a bit intense, but fun. Most of the comunas in Santiago host their own fonda in which the elements of the above equation are bundled into a fair-like situation. I went to the Providencia fonda (my local fonda) with an eclectic group of people (one Chilean, one other American, one Brit, and two Germans). We ate loads of good food (which I did not get any pictures of... boooo) and watched the dancing. It was perfectly pleasant, although, if I'm being totally honest, the holiday was a bit hyped up. I think Chileans get excited for the holiday because they get time off, spend time with family and friends, and celebrate their culture. To me, it just seemed like a bit of a crowded fair, and I kept looking for whatever it was that made the day so exciting. To be clear, I certainly enjoyed myself, but the hype was definitely a bit intense!

Anyways as usual I've babbled on and on about virtually nothing so I'll let you take a peak at my Dieciocho experience!








Overall it was a nice day with good company... and of course good food :) Stay tuned because I also managed to make it to the beach so I'll be posting my pictures from that trip soon! In the mean time enjoy your Friday evening! 

XX
A

2 comments:

  1. Catching up on your blog and my gosh have you been busy! Love the look of the page as well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad you're enjoying it! I've loved your new blog too! :)

      Delete