photo header_zps0f91e2d9.jpg photo ex_zps61d55d43.jpg photo home_zps85f688be.jpg photo about_zpsa1ea80b7.jpg photo contact_zps4aa39ec8.jpg photo twitter_zps89adcf86.jpg photo links_zps1c63dfd5.jpg photo ex1_zps4edc29b7.jpg

A Note About Food

Sunday, October 6, 2013

Food. I talk about it a lot on my blog and I'm afraid you, lovely reader, are in for another post about food. I recently read Wheat Belly, a book about how modern wheat affects the digestive system. Full disclosure: I have IBS (such a fun cute disorder!) and the book goes into great detail about how gluten and wheat can impact your digestive system--especially for those with IBS and more serious disorders. Over the last week I've decided to cut out as much gluten as possible. This basically means no pasta, bread, pastries, and EMPANADAS. EEK! You'd think it would be hard to do... especially in Chile. It actually hasn't been that hard. I eat out so infrequently here so it's really a matter of being careful about what I purchase at the grocery store.

Over this last week I've been relatively successful. I've avoided most obvious forms of gluten/wheat, but I've definitely had some accidental gluten. Yikes. Most of my diet has consisted of vegetables, meat, rice, oatmeal, and dairy. And this week, because I had hardly any time to go to the store, I mostly ate oatmeal. Ha! Anyhoo today I finally made it to the feria. I was able to buy everything I need for the week (and then some) for about $20 USD. I've done a post on the feria before, but this time I went to a different, bigger one. It's always more crowded on the weekend, but there's more to choose from. I got...

-Bananas
-Walnuts
-Flax Seed powder
-Toasted honey quinoa (it's like cereal!)
-Zucchini
-Asparagus
-Honey
-Potatoes
-Avocados
-Tomatoes
-Carrots
-Mushrooms
-Strawberries (super sweet!)
-Cauliflower

I'm pretty sure I'm missing something... but that's the bulk of it! I'm pretty excited about my haul... I have some good recipes I'm thinking of making so I'll keep you guys updated!

In the mean time, here are some pics from the feria and one random meal I ate this week.

I made this pretty yummy concoction the other day... I made my yummy stir fry sauce (honey+soy sauce+ginger+garlic+oil+pepper) with chicken, mushrooms, zucchini, and onion. Then I put is in huge cabbage leaves. Mmmm. Tasty. 

The feria (vintage filters... cause I'm cool like that)

Mmmmm... strawberries (another vintage filter).

A crazy stall at the feria with weird toys. Very odd.

Well that's all for now, folks. I hope you are well and I'll be back soon!

XOXO
A

No comments:

Post a Comment